I run in the rain, when I have to and I generally enjoy it. I do not run in monsoons (by choice) or any kind of electrical storms. Please do no run outside when you can see lightning, find a treadmill or wait it out, your life is more important… a run can wait.
I’ve complied my Top Five Tips for running in the rain. These five items are all equally important and are not ranked by order of importance.
1. DO NOT WEAR A HOOD- especially from a rain jacket. A hoodie, like my favorite under armour charged cotton will kind of stay on your head but it will bounce around and block your vision. A rain jacket hood will probably not stay on your head, it will shift, bounce and drive you crazy. Try a hat instead or just roll with it, it’s only a little water right?
2. LEAVE THE RAIN COATS/JACKETS AT HOME – Building off of #1, a rain coat or jacket (is there even a difference?) will not help, if anything they will hurt by making you hot. Wear light and wicking clothes and enjoy the rain, its like a shower.
3. STAY OFF THE GRASS/TRAILS – Unless of course you like having sopping wet shoes/feet and enjoy being covered in mud. Pavement works best for wet runs, if you run on sidewalks like I sometimes do watch out for slate and stone surfaces, they tend to be super slippery when wet.
4. DO NOT RUN THROUGH OR NEAR A KNOWN FLOOD ZONE – This may or may not be relevant depending on where you live but if you have a known area prone to flooding don’t run near or though it. Soggy sneakers cause blisters and smelly sneakers.
5. HAVE FUN – It’s just a little water, embrace it, enjoy it, love it.
Do you run in the rain? Do you enjoy it? Does your hood stay on?